The Browning Upland Strap Vest is low profile to allow for free range of motion and wont get in the way of shouldering your gun. The back features a mesh-back game bag with blood-proof lining. On the front are two pockets with shell pockets, these pockets have the Pocket Expander System for easy conversion to expose shell loops. The Upland Strap vest is a one size fits all but is highly adjustable, the shoulder straps, waist belt, and side straps can all be adjusted to get this vest to fit. This is a great choice for warm climates.
For each Browning Pheasants Forever product sold, Browning proudly makes a contribution to the Pheasants Forever Organization.
Adjustable Shoulder straps
Pocket Expander system on front pockets
Speed Buckle front belt
Blood-Proof lined game bag
One size fits most
There are 1 review(s) for this product
Great vest, could use a couple added features
Posted by Adam Jaquet on 19th May 2014
I bought this vest because I needed to switch from a traditional vest to a strap vest. The traditional vest was simply too hot on longer walks.
There are a ton of pros with this vest.
1. Fit size: I'm a big man (6'5" in boots with most of the height in my torso (32" inseam) and about 64" around the belly). Trying to find any hunting gear that fits well is tough. I have opened all the adjustments up to about their maximum size and the fit is great. There would be another 1"-2" I could gain for adding additional layers in colder weather. But it can be adjusted down significantly to fit hunters of a more average.
2. Set-up: I like having the pockets a little further around towards the sides instead of on top of the thighs. And since the side straps adjust as well as the front, you can change where they ride. Or if you want one pocket around the side and the other in the front, you'll have that capability. If you want to carry the loads a little higher or lower, the shoulder straps adjust to fit your height and where you like to carry the load.
3. Comfort: The vest is quite comfortable to wear. The shoulder traps are wide and heavy duty so they don't roll or cut, even with a load of birds and a couple water bottles. The vented mesh back does a nice job of providing air flow so the sweat isn't running down your back. With the adjust-ability of the waist belt, you can get snug and carry the load on the hips or in your shoulders or get a good balance.
4. Capacity: The game bag is huge and very easy to access. I've carried four pheasants (at a released bird preserve) and two 32-ounce water bottles with more capacity available. But if you don't need that much capacity, snap the bag in for a closer fit. The front pockets have enough space to carry some essentials, but not be in the way.
5. Construction: I am very pleased with the overall construction of this vest. The canvas cloth is durable, the stitching looks strong.
1. Slipping off shoulders: I found that after 45 minutes to an hour in the field, I noticed the shoulders straps wanting to slide off and having to be pulled up. I am adding a $10 wrap around sternum strap to help hold them in place on longer hunts.
2. Shell loop attachment: Having the shell loops that can be carried inside or outside the pockets is great. However, they are attached to the top of the pocket by two strips of canvas. For my very large hands, these straps are too close and limit the access into the pocket quickly.
3. Front pocket capacity: Don't expect to carry everything and the kitchen sink in the front pockets. They are sufficient for a 3-4 hour hunt. But might be short of carrying enough for an all day trek.
What I would change:
1. Like I mentioned in the Cons section, I feel it needs a sternum strap.
2. Spread the strips holding the shell loops wider.
3. A water bottle pocket on either the inside or outside of the game bag. It would help keep that portion of the load spread evenly, instead of moving to the middle until there are birds in the bag.
Overall, I am very pleased with this vest and expect it will be a part of my hunting rig for many years to come. The only reason I did not rate 5-star is because of the sternum strap.